2014-12-24

Grimeton Radio SAQ Christmas Eve transmission

The spectrum 11-23 kHz at 07:58 UTCm showing SAQ tuning signal
Today I set up my station to receive the 08:00 UTC transmission from the hisitoric Alexanderson alternator transmitter SAQ at Grimeton (Varberg) in Sweden on their regular frequency of 17.2 kHz in the VLF band. I used my Microtelecom Perseus SDR receiver connected directly to my HF vertical antenna. Although I suffer from a high level of man-made noise, I managed to copy the tuning tests and almost all of the message.Next transmission shall take place in late June or early July 2015.


1 comment:

  1. Have you tried this?
    Using a PC sound card to receive VLF radio signals
    I have found it here: https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/tubular-bells-and-vlf-interference/

    Its simplicity makes it so beautiful. So simple that you hate yourself for not being the first to devise it.
    Next step is to drive a speaker directly from the antenna! 17.2kHz is within ears bandwidth!

    Sometimes using specific terms to describe something, we forget some of its properties. We say AF (Audio Frequency) and RF (Radio Frequency) and we tent to forget that BOTH are electromagnetic oscillations, alternating voltages, alternating currents etc.

    ReplyDelete